Health and happiness this New Year!
We are all interested in improving our health and the myriad of New Years resolutions and (soon-to-be) discarded gym memberships are proof of that. However, do you realize that simply by taking a few extra steps to improve your health can have HUGE benefits? In fact, a lot of health professionals recommend trying to get in about 10,000 steps in a day. This adds up to about five miles each day for most people, which includes about 30 minutes of daily exercise—satisfying the CDC’s recommendation of at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise per week.
“HOW IN THE WORLD?”
- Whenever possible take the stairs rather than the elevator. Believe it or not, this can add up to 500 steps a day.
- Always park at the far end of the parking lot rather than closest – Here’s another 500 steps a day.
- Treat your dog to a nice long walk through your neighborhood.
- Go on a prayer walk.
- When you are doing laundry or doing the dishes, make numerous trips. This can add up to 300 steps.
- When you are talking on the phone, walk around the house in a slow, steady pace.
- Rather than using email at the office, walk to your co-workers desk. Here’s another 500 steps a day.
- Make a walking date with your partner, family, or friends.
- If you are waiting for your flight, take a stroll up and down the airport corridors. Believe it or not this could add up to thousands of steps.
- Walk to do your errands.
- Make it a family game. How about a scavenger walk? You can tick off the list as you spot items on the list.
- Walk on a treadmill while watching your favorite television show.
- Convert your steps to cycling if you prefer biking to walking. Approximately 100 calories burned equals 2000 steps walked.
- Go for a 2.5 mile walk – that will take care of 5000 steps. If you are really fit, go for a 5 mile walk, and you will have your 10,000 steps in.